the priority of personal over propositional reality an old diary entry January 7, 2005
It is now in the flow of my existence 9:56 PM. It is a Friday night and I am tired but not in the mood to go to bed. It is time to feel free and happy. This evening around 7 o'clock PM I got tired to talking to myself in the dark and went to a local Christian bookstore to pick up a special book order. I had order a massive two volume work titled "Early Christian Mission-Volume 1 Jesus And The Twelve" and Early Christian Mission-Volume 2 Paul And The Early Church" by Eckhard J. Schnabel. I also got a book while at the bookstore titled, "The Next Reformation: Why Evangelicals Must Embrace Postmodernity" by Carl Raschke. After the bookstore trip I went downtown to The Full Circle and then to Lemonjello's for a small mocha. I was home by 8:30 PM. When I got home I found Carol up having coffee and a grapefruit. I went out and got me take out Chinese food for dinner-came home and ate it talking to Carol about all the crap on my mind. I shared with her my discussion with my boss Doug on religion in America-the New Perspective on Paul and the Law-Moo's thoughts on N.T. Wright and the Exile motif in the New Testament-the Jesus Seminar views of the NT-Contemplative Prayer-Thomas Merton-Spiritual Direction-the American Wasteland-where do you go for help?
Carol laid her head down on the table weary of my stream of words so I came to our computer to talk to mySelf listening to The Dears "No Cities Left" waiting to feel so tired that when I go to bed I will fall into a deep coma and wake up tomorrow overflowing with love for God and mankind-tomorrow is my day Off, my Sabbath.
So what else can I report in case the A-Bomb drops and we are blown to bits? At Lemonjello's Emily was working-she is one of my Livejournal friends-I always enjoy talking to her-tonight it was too busy for us to talk plus I was feeling FREAKED so I got my small mocha to go and left feeling sad that I could not be cheerful and friendly-Emily (rubyredartist) did ask me for the names of the bands I mentioned to her the last time we talked as I got my small mocha to go she handed me a piece of paper to write down the name of the bands-I wrote down Slowdive did not write down the band My Bloody Valentine or Mojave 3-or Low. Emily listens to the music of Tom Waits is all I know when it comes to her musical taste. I personally like all kinds of music.
Carol is getting ready to go to work. Soon I will be alone with Rudy our dog listening to Shoe Gazing music-Slow Core-I should light a candle and burn some incense-sit in the dark and dream to the music of Slowdive-wait for the General Resurrection.
I got out these books to look at if I can locate my brain-
"Pierre Or The Ambiguities" a novel by Herman Melville
"American Scream: Allen Ginsberg's Howl And The Making Of The Beat Generation" by Jonah Raskin
"Missing Men" A Memior by Joyce Johnson
"Contemplative Prayer" by Thomas Merton
"Justification And Variegated Nomism-Volume 2-The Paradoxes Of Paul" [A Fresh Appraisal of Paul and Second Temple Judaism] Editors D. A. Carson, Peter T. O'Brien and Mark A. Seifrid
"Expelled from Eden: A William T. Vollmann Reader"
"Recovering Theological Hermeneutics: An Incarnational Trinitarian Theory of Interpretation" by Jens Zimmermann
I just remembered that today at work my boss told me it says in First Corinthians, "that God hates the wise". That God hates wisdom is what my Christian boss told me-it says that in the Bible. I replied, "Is not the Apostle Paul talking about Greek idea of wisdom-philosophy?" Doug did not know what I was talking about. I said to Doug is there not fleshly wisdom and spiritual wisdom? I quoted to Doug from Colossians 1 verse 9 the apostle Paul prays "For this reason we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to ask that you may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding." I never get anywhere with my boss, who is a ruling elder in the CRC-when I talk to my boss it is like talking to a brick wall. He does not understand what I am talking about-I am to him mad-crazy and belong in a madhouse.
I got to close to say good-bye to Carol and catch my breath.
Carol laid her head down on the table weary of my stream of words so I came to our computer to talk to mySelf listening to The Dears "No Cities Left" waiting to feel so tired that when I go to bed I will fall into a deep coma and wake up tomorrow overflowing with love for God and mankind-tomorrow is my day Off, my Sabbath.
So what else can I report in case the A-Bomb drops and we are blown to bits? At Lemonjello's Emily was working-she is one of my Livejournal friends-I always enjoy talking to her-tonight it was too busy for us to talk plus I was feeling FREAKED so I got my small mocha to go and left feeling sad that I could not be cheerful and friendly-Emily (rubyredartist) did ask me for the names of the bands I mentioned to her the last time we talked as I got my small mocha to go she handed me a piece of paper to write down the name of the bands-I wrote down Slowdive did not write down the band My Bloody Valentine or Mojave 3-or Low. Emily listens to the music of Tom Waits is all I know when it comes to her musical taste. I personally like all kinds of music.
Carol is getting ready to go to work. Soon I will be alone with Rudy our dog listening to Shoe Gazing music-Slow Core-I should light a candle and burn some incense-sit in the dark and dream to the music of Slowdive-wait for the General Resurrection.
I got out these books to look at if I can locate my brain-
"Pierre Or The Ambiguities" a novel by Herman Melville
"American Scream: Allen Ginsberg's Howl And The Making Of The Beat Generation" by Jonah Raskin
"Missing Men" A Memior by Joyce Johnson
"Contemplative Prayer" by Thomas Merton
"Justification And Variegated Nomism-Volume 2-The Paradoxes Of Paul" [A Fresh Appraisal of Paul and Second Temple Judaism] Editors D. A. Carson, Peter T. O'Brien and Mark A. Seifrid
"Expelled from Eden: A William T. Vollmann Reader"
"Recovering Theological Hermeneutics: An Incarnational Trinitarian Theory of Interpretation" by Jens Zimmermann
I just remembered that today at work my boss told me it says in First Corinthians, "that God hates the wise". That God hates wisdom is what my Christian boss told me-it says that in the Bible. I replied, "Is not the Apostle Paul talking about Greek idea of wisdom-philosophy?" Doug did not know what I was talking about. I said to Doug is there not fleshly wisdom and spiritual wisdom? I quoted to Doug from Colossians 1 verse 9 the apostle Paul prays "For this reason we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to ask that you may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding." I never get anywhere with my boss, who is a ruling elder in the CRC-when I talk to my boss it is like talking to a brick wall. He does not understand what I am talking about-I am to him mad-crazy and belong in a madhouse.
I got to close to say good-bye to Carol and catch my breath.