The other night when we were having dinner at a local Mexican joint with friends of Carol's they asked me why I stopped going to church meaning Covenant PCA (these folks also had stopped attending Covenant PCA). I answered that I stopped going to Covenant PCA for several reasons-
1. If I was to go to church on Sunday to hear maybe one or two sermons. The rest of the week I would have no personal involvement with the church.
2. I stopped going to Covenant PCA because we were receiving no spiritual oversight.
3. I do not agree theologically with Covenant PCA. I am no longer orthodox according to the PCA. Why sit under preaching that I do not agree with theologically. I am no longer strictly Calvinistic.
4. I stopped going to Covenant PCA because I could not relate to the people attending this church. We lived in different worlds intellectually and spiritually.
5. I stopped going to church because it was too painful. I can't go to church because it reminds me how empty the world is. You expect the church world to be radically different than the pagan world, but it is not. In America Christianity has become secularized.
6. I need to protect myself from being furthered damaged by the American evangelical world.
So here I sit on a Sunday while people all around me are in church singing the praises of God.
This morning I feel wasted. I feel like I hardly slept last night. Last night I shut up the house and turned on our central air system. I like a cold tomb.
Carol has come home from work and gone to bed for the day. Well she is off tonight so she will get up in time to attend the evening worship service at Covenant PCA.
Last night I read and watched TV for one hour. I went to bed around 11 o'clock PM. I got up this morning around 6 o'clock AM. Existence keeps decaying. Well I will close to feel out of it. No way out.